Sunday 6 February 2011

Just the one Sunday morning puzzle

I was planning to post another pair of puzzles today.  I was.  Then I rediscovered one of my favourites and stopped looking.

PuzzleDonkey was a brilliant site that ran for quite a few years - it shut up shop in 2006 and recently reappeared as a Facebook app (which might now also have bitten the dust).  The fiendish premise was that you had to solve each puzzle to access the next.  As I recall, there were three sets of 100 puzzles each to work your way through.  No entry fees and no prizes, just satisfaction and plenty of people on hand with helpful hints (but never spoilers).  Obsessive CS Lewis fans (I guess someone has to do it) will probably appreciate the name.

This puzzle is called 'Whendunnit?', and I think it appeared in the third set.  Get ready for some detective work.


"Tell me again how you spent the night of the murder," said Inspector Pereira.  Irving shook his head in protest.

"I tells you, there's nuthin' you don't know!  I spent the morning here at home, fixin' the stairs.  Then I took Maggie out to lunch.  It was her birthday last month, and we didn't do nothin' at the time, so I thought I'd give her a treat."

"And then you came home?"

"Sure we did.  I wanted to take her shopping, but she pointed out there were a lot of jobs to do at home.  She's real practical like that - a typical Capricorn, you know?  Then in the evenin' I watched the tube and Maggie read her book.  Watership Down or somethin' like that.  Yeah, we were here for the rest of the day.  Leastways, 'til twenty before two in the morning."

"What happened then?"

"The puppy escapes, don't it.  So here's me, chasin' it down the street like a mug.  All the way to Huffman Mill and across Huffman Bridge.  Took me an age to catch the little feller."

"And then you came home again?"

"Yeah, dat's right.  I came home, to find Maggie lyin' dead. I looks up at the clock - says it's nearly four o'clock, but that don't seem right, since I thinks I've only been gone an hour or so... but, but, I dunno... I was in shock, ya know?"

Inspector Pereira did know.  What he didn't know, unfortunately, was who killed Maggie.  But at least he knew the date of her death - that was a good start.

I bet you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment